I’ve been using speech input for more than two decades after a bout with repetitive strain injuries in my hands. I use Dragon Pro Individual with two add-ons: Intag, which numbers elements like buttons and links, and Utter Command, which allows you to say command phrases. I developed Utter Command and I train people to use speech input efficiently.
The text and slides from the presentation I gave at AccessU include my latest thoughts on using speech input:
Here’s some background:
- Greetings from planet RSI: an attempt to explain what it’s like to have hands that hurt all the time
- Advice from planet RSI: how to get better
- The Human-Machine Grammar system of words and rules
- Redstart Systems, home of Utter Command
- The PatchonSpeech blog, which I wrote from 2008-2014
- Speech input presentations
- A nice take on Human-Machine Grammar and Utter Command from James Stout’s Hands-Free Coding blog
I’m looking for help making Utter Command open source and more portable. Feel free to contact me if you’re interested.